Hero (Dragon Quest IX)
|Dragon Quest series character|
|Dragon Quest IX|
|Title||Sentinel of the Starry Skies|
|Class||Chosen by the player|
|Race||Celestrian (Later Human)|
The Hero of Dragon Quest IX is a male or female Celestrian that fell to earth after a calamity struck their home, the Celestrian Observatory. Prior to this accident, the player's mission was to collect benevolessences (star auras in the Japanese version) in his/her assigned village, Angel Falls. Benevolessences are used to power the Yggdrasil tree that grows at the zenith of the Observatory. The Celestrians are trying to get into the Realms of the Almighty, and powering the World Tree is the only way. After giving the tree five benevolessences, which causes the tree to bear fyggs of incredible magical power, a disaster occurs which sends the fyggs and the hero scatters away. When the hero awakens in Angel Falls, they find that they've lost their wings and halo...
A unique feature of Dragon Quest IX is that the player's character is completely customizable. The player chooses gender, height, shade of skin, hair style, hair color, eyes, eye color, and name. The player also designs their party, so it is possible to make all party members look the same.
The Hero, along with the other Heroes of the series, is playable in Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road II Legend. In that game, the Hero is depicted as the brown-haired boy seen in official illustrations.
Vocation and Skills
The Hero and Heroine always starts out as a Minstrel, being awarded the title after the inhabitants of Angel Falls confuse his/her Celestrian clothing for that of a wandering entertainer. Players do posses a few unique skills, however: they receive the "Egg On" skill after a scene at the Quester's Rest from Patty early in the game, and will learn the Zoom spell after returning to the Celestrian Observatory aboard the Starflight Express. Very soon after the returning from the Observatory back to the Protectorate, the hero shall be able to change his/her vocation/class after obtaining a fygg from the Tower of Trades.
- One of the available hairstyles for the male hero is identical to Super Sayian 2 Gohan from Dragonball Z.
- Another hairstyle for a male is identical to Uub from Dragonball Z, both alluding to series illustrator Akira Toriyama's famous manga.
- Another hairstyle for males is similar to Shu, the protagonist of Blue Dragon, another RPG series illustrated by Toriyama.
- One of the hairstyles for female heroes is identical to that of the female martial artist in Dragon Quest III.
- One concept art for the female protagonist is almost identical to Deborah from Dragon Quest V.
The Male Hero as a Celestrian.