Hero (Dragon Quest V)
|Dragon Quest series character|
|Dragon Quest V|
|Age|| 6 (initially)|
16 (after first timeshift)
24, possibly older (after second timeshift)
|Family|| Pankraz (father)|
|Voice Actor||Konami Yoshida [child], Ryō Horikawa [adult] (CD Theater)|
The default name for the hero in-game in Japanese is Abel (アベル). In the CD Theater audio drama and the official novelizations, the hero is named Luca (リュカ).
Appearance and Personality
As a child, he wears a light green tunic tied around his waist with a rope, silver bracelets on both arms, dark gray boots on his feet; a wooden stick is held in his right hand. As an adult, he wears a white tunic, partly torn; a leather belt and green pouch around his waist, silver bracelets on both arms, blue socks and dark gray boots on his feet; a wooden staff is held in his right hand.
As with all Heroes in the series, he is the avatar of the player and thus his personality is left for them to interpret. That aside, several NPCs remark that he has a profound sincerity in his eyes--it is this trait that inspires monsters to join him.
Equipment, Stats, and Abilities
He can equip certain swords, boomerangs, whips, staffs, flails, and even the metal king series of equipment. His HP growth is very high, likely to balance out his low defense stat, with all other attributes varying in growth throughout the game.
The hero is a very versatile fighter. He also is very good in magic, although, as is the case with most heroes, his spells mainly revolve around healing and support.
|Attribute||Starting Stats||Maximum Stats|
|Initial gear||Cypress stick, Plain clothes|
|Level Learned||Original Japanese||PT Translation||DS Version||MP||Description|
|Heal||Heal||3||A simple healing spell.|
|6||キアリー Kiarii||Antidote||Squelch||2||Cure an ally from poison.|
|Gale||Woosh||2||A wind spell that affects a group of enemies.|
|9||スカラ Sukara||Upper||Buff||2||Raises the defensive power of an ally.|
|Healmore||Midheal||5||A stronger form of Heal.|
|Identify||Peep||3||Cast on an treasure chest to reveal if its safe.|
|Outside||Evac||8||Cast in a cave to return to the surface.|
|Tornado||Swoosh||4||A stronger form of Gale.|
|18||マホキテ Mahokite||Absorb||Absorb Magic||2||Get some MP from spells cast on you.|
|Healall||Fullheal||7||Restores an ally to full health.|
|28||メガザル Megazaru||Farewell||Kerplunk||All||Caster gives up his own life to revive all fallen companions.|
|29||ザオラル Zaoraru||Vivify||Zing||10||Cast for a 50% chance of returning an ally to life.|
|32||バギクロス Bagikurosu||Aerocross||Kaswoosh||8||The strongest wind spell; affects an enemy group.|
|Return||Zoom||8||Allows instantaneous travel to places previously visited.|
|*||パルプンテ Parupunte||Chance||Hocus Pocus||20||A random effect spell.|
- Zoom and Hocus Pocus are learned via a sidequest at Zoomingale.
During the course of the game, the Hero's title changes at certain plot points. The full list of titles is the following:
- Pankraz's Son - start of game.
- Crocodilopolis Slave - while at the slave camp at the start of generation 2.
- Escaped Slave - after escaping from the slave camp.
- Drifter - when Harry leaves the party.
- Monster Master - after finding Saber in the Scary Lair and speaking to a boy in Hay.
- King of Gotha - after the coronation.
- A Hero's Father - after his son obtains the Zenithian Helm; this also changes his title to Legendary Hero.
- Even though after the second timeshift the hero is 24, he is still physically 16 because he never aged while he was turned to stone. It is the same for whichever wife the Hero chooses.
- Interestingly, the hero actually has some spoken lines in the game: when the six year old hero meets his adult version in Whealbrook, as well as when traveling back in time through the portrait, the "other" hero has spoken lines upon talking to them.
- One of the hero's titles, "Monster Master," is very similar to Psaro's title in the remakes of Dragon Quest IV.
- In the English version, father recommends the name Madason for the hero. Humorously, if the player chooses the name Madason, then the father will recommend Erdrick instead.
- In the Japanese SNES version, at the prologue, the Hero's father Pankraz suggess to name the character Tonnura (トンヌラ), but the Hero's mother rejects it and uses the name which the player decided. If the player uses Tonnura at the begnning, Pankraz will want to name the character Satochii (サトチー).
- In the Japanese PS2/DS remake version, the Hero's father suggests the name Aberu, while the player chooses this name at beginning, Pankraz will want to name him Tonnura.