List of version differences in Dragon Quest I
From Dragon Quest Wiki
This article is a listing of the version differences of Dragon Quest.
 Famicom version
- original version
- used password save system
 NES version
- featured updated graphics from the Famicom version despite being on the same hardware.
 SFC version
- Hero is able to carry multiple weapon and armor items. Previously, only 1 of each type of equipment could be held.
- Scale of dungeons is greatly increased.
- Mountain Cave is greatly redesigned.
- Experience needed to gain levels is decreased.
- Experience and gold given by monsters is increased.
- The dragon guarding the princess is given an on screen sprite.
- Shrines are given world map sprites rather than simply staircase sprites.
- Shrines are given a unique soundtrack. The same music which is used for shrines in Dragon Quest II.
- The Silver Harp will summon any enemy in the area when used, as opposed to the NES Version which would only summon monsters from around Tantegal or the Mountain Cave.
- Roto's Tablet is now a tombstone that appears in place of the chest containing it.
 GBC version
- Many names in the game have been shortened due to GBC's display constraints.