Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|Super Smash Bros. Ultimate|
|Released||December 7th, 2018|
|Mode||Single player, multiplayer|
|Series||Super Smash Bros.|
Digital distribution (Nintendo eShop)
|Input||Nintendo Switch Joy-Con|
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller
Nintendo GameCube Controller
"The Hero Draws Near!"
—The Hero's tagline from his reveal trailer.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ SPECIAL Dairantō Sumasshu Burazāzu Supesharu?, Great Fray Smash Brothers Special) is a fighting game for the Nintendo Switch and the 5th game (6th if Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS are counted as two games) in the Super Smash Bros. series. It was released on December 7, 2018 to universal acclaim.
Dragon Quest media in Super Smash Bros.
At E3 2019, the Heroes of XI, III, IV, and VIII were announced as one character simply called the Hero, announced as the 3rd DLC character and the 2nd character that is part of the Fighters Pass. The character itself is set to be released in summer 2019.
The Hero fights mainly using a sword and shield, but also has a unique feature in that he also is able to use an MP Gauge that gives him access to a plethora of moves. While it is currently unconfirmed as to how the Hero can access these moves, such moves include Frizz, Kafrizzle, Kaswoosh, Zap, Zapple, Oomph, Snooze, Bounce, Kacrackle Slash, Kaclang, Zoom, Kamikazee, Sizzle, and Psyche Up. The Hero's Final Smash summons the other non-playable Heroes (in order of appearance, the Heroes of II, V, VI, VII, X, IX, and I), who then charge the playable Hero's sword with energy, with the playable Hero unleashing it shortly after (resembling, though not confirmed to be, Gigaslash).
Alongside the Hero is a stage that appears to be based on Yggdrasil's Altar (with its Japanese name matching that of the location of the same name in Dragon Quest XI). The players fight on a large, gray platform that passes by the tree, which can be seen in the background; Slimes and Spirits of Lost Time cameo on the stage as well, and a Cetacea can be seen flying in the background. Not much information is known about the stage currently.
- Dragon Quest is the second Square Enix franchise to be represented in Super Smash Bros., the first being Final Fantasy.
- The Mark of Erdrick acts as the series symbol for Dragon Quest.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate marks the first time any main series Dragon Quest character has appeared in a fighting game.
- Whilst Dai from Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken appeared in Jump Force, another crossover fighting game, he wasn't in any of the main series Dragon Quest games at all.
- This is the first time since the Itadaki Street series that Dragon Quest crossed over with the Super Mario and Final Fantasy franchise and the first time since Captain N: The Game Master that it crossed over with various other video game properties.