Grinding is a common term used in discussion of role-playing games to describe the process of completing some menial or monotonous task in order to achieve some greater objective. Grinding is often viewed as necessary in order to fully enjoy certain parts of a game. It is typically viewed negatively by fans if there is perceived to be too much grinding in a game.
In Dragon Quest
In Dragon Quest, grinding most commonly refers to fighting monsters in order to gain experience. More experience allows characters to gain levels and thereby become more powerful in a variety of ways. However, it can also refer to any monotonous task such as collecting specific items, playing a mini game over and over, or completing some menial task repetitively.
Examples in the Dragon Quest series
- Fighting monsters in order to gain levels or earn gold
- Collecting alchemy ingredients to make specific items in Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King and Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies.
- Playing any of the gambling mini games available in a variety of games in order to win certain items.
- Fighting monsters in the hope that they will drop a specific item after the battle.
- Fighting monsters in the hope that they will join the party in games where monster recruitment is possible.