Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|Super Smash Bros. Ultimate|
|Released||December 7th, 2018|
|Mode||Single player, multiplayer|
|Series||Super Smash Bros.|
Digital distribution (Nintendo eShop)
|Input||Nintendo Switch Joy-Con|
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller
Nintendo GameCube Controller
"The Hero Draws Near!"
—The Hero's tagline from his reveal trailer.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ SPECIAL Dairantō Sumasshu Burazāzu Supesharu?, Great Fray Smash Brothers Special) is a fighting game for the Nintendo Switch and the 5th game (6th if Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS are counted as two games) in the Super Smash Bros. series. It was released on December 7th, 2018 to universal acclaim.
Dragon Quest media in Super Smash Bros.
At E3 2019, the Heroes of XI, III, IV, and VIII were announced as one character simply called the Hero, announced as the 3rd DLC character and the 2nd character that is part of the Fighters Pass. The character itself was released on July 30th, 2019.
Alongside the Hero is a stage named Yggdrasil's Altar. The players fight on a large, gray platform that passes by the tree, which can be seen in the background; Slimes and Tockles cameo on the stage as well, and Cetacea can be seen flying in the background. The stage passes by other locations as well. Occasionally, treasure chests appear on the stage, and attacking them will yield an item; however, a Mimic will occasionally appear instead, and defeating it yields an item as a reward. Two tracks from each of the four games represented by the different Heroes appear on the stage as well, and the ending to the main Dragon Quest theme serves as the victory theme for the series.
The Spirits from the Dragon Quest series include the Slime, Dracky, Golem, Liquid metal slime, Great sabrecub, Cetacea, and the main party from Dragon Quest XI (Hendrik, Sylvando, Erik, Jade, Rab, Veronica and Serena, with the Slime and Great sabrecub spirits being able to be enhanced into King slime and Great sabrecat, respectively. A Spirit for the Tockles can be unlocked with save data from Dragon Quest XI S (either from the demo or the full game). Additionally, Veronica, the Erdrick Equipment, the Martial Artist class, and Slime all appear as costumes for the Mii Fighters, with Veronica and the Erdrick Equipment appearing as costumes for the Mii Swordfighter, the Martial Artist appearing as a costume for the Mii Brawler, and the Slime appearing as a hat. Notably, the Slime hat is unique in that it possesses motion physics, moving around when the Mii does as well.
- Dragon Quest is the second Square Enix franchise to be represented in Super Smash Bros., the first being Final Fantasy.
- The Mark of Erdrick acts as the series symbol for Dragon Quest, and the ending portion of the series' famous overture acts as the victory theme.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate marks the first time any main series Dragon Quest character has appeared in a fighting game.
- Whilst Dai from Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken appeared in Jump Force, another crossover fighting game, he wasn't in any of the main series Dragon Quest games at all.
- This is the first time since the Itadaki Street series that Dragon Quest crossed over with the Super Mario and Final Fantasy franchises and the first time since Captain N: The Game Master that it crossed over with various other video game properties.
- A Dragon Quest character had been requested for Smash for some time, but series creator Masahiro Sakurai had long considered it impossible. Sakurai created a proposal for Square Enix, with some encouragement from Nintendo, "passionately" expressing how he wished to use the Hero; though Sakurai would have agreed to the inclusion of Slime had Square denied him the rights to the Hero, he felt the Hero offered more options, even knowing the hurdles that would come with their inclusion. To his surprise, Square Enix agreed almost immediately, as they had appreciated Sakurai's passion and felt Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was similar to Dragon Quest XI S as a game that brings together elements from previous games into one. According to Yūji Horii, within Square Enix, there were restrictions that prevented certain Dragon Quest protagonists from encountering each other, but Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was given special exception in order to have the different Heroes as alternate character costumes, as the restrictions have become less strict over time, especially with the mobile title Dragon Quest Rivals, and knowing the popularity of Smash, he wanted the Hero to join. Only the Heroes from XI and III were originally decided for Smash but Horii allowed two more to be added, and the Hero from VIII was added due to popularity overseas as one of the main factor, while the Hero from IV was added due to the Hero from V not using a sword and ultimately being chosen over the Hero from Dragon Quest.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the first game that allows the characters of Dragon Quest to fight each other.
- Article on Wikipedia
- Article on Smash Wiki
- Article on StrategyWiki
- Artcile on Square Enix Wiki
- Article on Nintendo Wiki