Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|Super Smash Bros. Ultimate|
|Released||December 7th, 2018|
|Mode||Single player, multiplayer|
|Series||Super Smash Bros.|
Digital distribution (Nintendo eShop)
|Input||Nintendo Switch Joy-Con|
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller
Nintendo GameCube Controller
"The Hero Draws Near!"
—The Hero's tagline from his reveal trailer.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ SPECIAL Dairantō Sumasshu Burazāzu Supesharu?, Great Fray Smash Brothers Special) is a fighting game for the Nintendo Switch and the 5th game (6th if Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS are counted as two games) in the Super Smash Bros. series. It was released on December 7th, 2018 to universal acclaim.
Dragon Quest media in Super Smash Bros.
At E3 2019, the Heroes of XI, III, IV, and VIII were announced as one character simply called the Hero, announced as the 3rd DLC character and the 2nd character that is part of the Fighters Pass. The character itself was released on July 30th, 2019.
Alongside the Hero is a stage named Yggdrasil's Altar. The players fight on a large, gray platform that passes by the tree, which can be seen in the background; Slimes and Spirits of Lost Time cameo on the stage as well, and Cetacea can be seen flying in the background. The stage passes by other locations as well. Occasionally, treasure chests appear on the stage, and attacking them will yield an item; however, a Mimic will occasionally appear instead, and defeating it yields an item as a reward. Two tracks from each of the four games represented by the different Heroes appear on the stage as well, and the ending to the main Dragon Quest theme serves as the victory theme for the series.
The Spirits from the Dragon Quest series include the Slime, Dracky, Golem, Liquid metal slime, Great sabrecub, Cetacea, and the main party from Dragon Quest XI, with the Slime and Great sabrecub spirits being able to be enhanced into King slime and Great sabrecat, respectively. Additionally, Veronica, the Erdrick Equipment, the Martial Artist class, and Slime all appear as costumes for the Mii Fighters, with Veronica and the Erdrick Equipment appearing as costumes for the Mii Swordfighter, the Martial Artist appearing as a costume for the Mii Brawler, and the Slime appearing as a hat.
- Dragon Quest is the second Square Enix franchise to be represented in Super Smash Bros., the first being Final Fantasy.
- The Mark of Erdrick acts as the series symbol for Dragon Quest, and the ending portion of the series' famous overture acts as the victory theme.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate marks the first time any main series Dragon Quest character has appeared in a fighting game.
- Whilst Dai from Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken appeared in Jump Force, another crossover fighting game, he wasn't in any of the main series Dragon Quest games at all.
- This is the first time since the Itadaki Street series that Dragon Quest crossed over with the Super Mario and Final Fantasy franchise and the first time since Captain N: The Game Master that it crossed over with various other video game properties.
- Within Square Enix, there actually are restrictions that prevent certain Dragon Quest protagonists from encountering each other, but Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was given special exception in order to have the different Heroes as alternate character costumes.
- Eight's addition as an alternate character costume was particularly due to requests from Western fans for the character.