The church or chapel is a recurring element in the Dragon Quest series.
Every main series game since Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line has had churches, and many spinoff games feature them as well.
Churches are devoted to various religions depending on the game, but usually profess the worship of a particular creator deity such as Rubiss, the Goddess, the the Almighty, etc. Churches are most commonly serviced by a pastor, but may also be found under the care of nuns, Zenithians or other such pious persons.
Churches provide several important services to players:
- Confession: The pastor will record all of the Hero's deeds; this functions as the game's save system, replacing the previous password-based systems. The player will begin at the church they last saved at when they resume play.
- Resurrection: Resurrect party members who have fallen in battle, reviving them with a small amount of HP (usually 1/8th of their max, or simply 1 HP).
- Exorcism or Benediction: Remove curse status effect from an afflicted party member.
- Purification: Remove Poison status effect from an afflicted party member.
- Divination: States the number of Experience Points the party members must gain in order to reach their next levels of Experience.
- Rectification: Used to allow the player to redistribute skill points among their characters.
All services except for confession and divination require a donation to the church, which escalates as characters level up.
House of Healing
A House of Healing is a location in Dragon Quest games beginning with Dragon Quest II where members of the Hero's party can be detoxed (cured of poison), uncursed, or revived. There is a fee charged for these services. Also starting with Dragon Quest IV onward, members of the Hero's party can be informed of their level and the number of experience points needed to gain the next level, as well as save the game.
- In Dragon Quest IX, allocating skill points into the Priest's "Faith" skill allows characters to learn how to perform divinations and benedictions on the field.
- In several games, some of the services offered in churches can be performed by party members, for example Rab from Dragon Quest XI can learn how to remove curses.