Hello Molacarthy, and welcome to Dragon Quest Wiki! We're glad to have you here, and we hope you'll stay and contribute. Make sure you check out the community portal for general information about editing.
Note that you cannot upload any images until you have confirmed your email address! You should receive the email confirmation shortly after registering. Enjoy your time at Dragon Quest Wiki. - The Dragon Quest Wiki Staff
Not sure if you caught wind of my discussion with Follower or like me you're trying to minimize the redirect, but thanks. Working on the other main games in a bit as I'm on my phone, but will be getting on my laptop Antiyonder (talk) 16:42, 25 January 2020 (EST)
- Yes, I had first noticed the templates on the Puff-Puff page but hadn't actually thought of using them until I saw your topic on Follower's talk page, so I thought I might as well update it since I'm doing the Memoriam pages and it's much easier to type than the full title.
Thanks for the transcripts and party chat
Thanks a million for ripping the phone versions to get the text out, that could not have been a small undertaking. Do you have any plans for how to organize it? Such as in the party chat's case, where the location can be used as the section header and brief descriptions to break up the text inside the tabs. That's just the first thing to come to my mind, and since you did the hard work it's your call as far as I'm concerned. once I start up new playthroughs of IV and VI I can follow suit with the method you choose and chip away at the mountain of text. (Follower of Light (talk) 09:31, 9 February 2020 (EST))
- Your welcome, as for organization I did think of splitting up each section by general location. However, the files are not cleanly segmented by town or general region, and I'm loath to split up text outside of the files they were in. Another concern is that there's duplicates of dialogue boxes, where an event happens and some NPCs say something different afterwards but others repeat lines. This would be correct from a technical standpoint, but it hampers user readibility when there's three or four sections of repetitive text with a little unique dialogue sprinkled in. This would also help reduce the huge file size of the page; for me, the page lags when I try to edit it. Party chat isn't as extensive in IV compared to the other two in the Zenithian Trilogy either, just the party chat for VI is only marginally smaller than the entire transcript for IV. This could potentially lead to huge pages that are difficult to edit if we decide to rip V or VI's transcript. As for party chat, I was thinking of matching up the character's responses with the NPC dialogue they adhere to, so as to give context rather than grouping them up in their own sections. But for right now, I'm content with how it's organized. I should concentrate on just cleaning up the sections themselves.
- In any case, it was easier than you would expect. All I did was download the Android APK, extract the contents and then I used Notepad ++ to group all of the files into a single Word document (with autocorrect turned off). I assume this will be as simple for the rest of the games released on mobile devices, and of course the old Dragon Warrior titles will be easy as well. Molacarthy (talk) 14:53, 9 February 2020 (EST)
- Are the chunks grouped in anyway at all, or is it random sorting? I've seen duplicates in IV's party chat rip from the den, so that might just be lazy coding or something and nothing to worry about--small changes can be joined with the original via slash marks or other such methods. Do you have the word count for VI's party chat by chance? I remember reading an interview Hori did during V's original release and how proud he was that the game's script was novel length, and I'm curious just how fat the book would be for any of the three in English.
- Choppasmith on the Den is currently working on adding the current localizations to the older versions of the games, and I'm fairly confident you've made his job much easier. I'm all thumbs when it comes to any level of programming work, so you guys who can pull this off are the kings of metal king slimes of the fandom. Whenever you decide to begin to carve up the transcripts and party chats give me a head's up and I can help--my current goal for this site is to wrap up the royalty on III and then jump into XI's bestiary, so getting away from resistance data to organize dialogue will be a breath of fresh air. (Follower of Light (talk) 17:56, 14 February 2020 (EST))
- I believe they are grouped in a way; for example, in the dialogue for Femiscrya, the nun's response before and after apprehending Kirk Buzzer will appear in the same place in their respective sections. The duplicates could be removed, with the very top section becoming the main part with changed dialogue being derivatives, such as Femiscrya -> Before arresting Kirk Buzzer, with the derivatives only containing unique party chat and dialogue pertaining to that event. Although, that might be more time-consuming than your method. As for VI's party chat, it would amount to around 251,770 words. This is assuming that the player's name is one word.
- Also, I would like ask you about images. There is some artwork files that were made for games like Dragon Quest I + II, and whose file names include the plus sign present in the title. However, when you click on the file page such as the following image here, it will simply bring you to a blank page without the plus sign:
- Clicking on the "file" link will bring you to the full size of the image, meaning it was actually uploaded, but the page is nonexistent. This also applies to image files that have ampersands. It seems like the website does not support either of those symbols for file names. Should these images be reuploaded without plus signs or ampersands?Molacarthy (talk) 20:51, 14 February 2020 (EST)
- 251,770 words is larger than Jurassic Park and most Ray Bradbury books, sweet Jesus no wonder the localization periods take so long. And yeah, just pointing out the difference will be enough for most readers, who can use the context to infer what happened. In the Kirk Buzzer case, having the reaction lines set after the boss battle should be enough to give contextual guidance. For those images I'll just reupload them under different names and add them back in manually and save everyone else the trouble.(Follower of Light (talk) 11:03, 15 February 2020 (EST))
- You definitely did. You may have accidentally selected a large chunk of text from a certain point to the bottom of the article and deleted it without realizing. No harm done, though.Molacarthy (talk) 23:38, 3 March 2020 (EST)
- Wait, I believe I see the problem now. I tried to change the party chat link to "Party Chat", which I presume is what you tried to do, but the bottom of the article was shaved off. I believe that due to the web page's prodigious size, the wiki doesn't fully load the page's text when it tries to change the target of a link. The link should be directing to the correct article now. Molacarthy (talk) 00:01, 4 March 2020 (EST)