Tonnura (トンヌラ) was one of the possible names for the Prince of Sumaltria in the Japanese version of Dragon Quest II. The name Tonnura has become an in-joke in Dragon Quest ever since. To start with, the name sounds "odd and stupid" to Japanese people. On top of that though, in the Famicom Version, the Prince of Sumaltria is kind of a weak character. Between these two facts the name Tonnura became known as being a particularly weak and uncool name, but not a hated name. The impact that this name created has caused the name to reappear in the Dragon Quest series on multiple occasions:
- In Dragon Quest V, Pankraz wants to name the main character Tonnura at the start of the game, though he'll say a different name if you actually choose to name your character Tonnura.
- Tonnura is the name of the rebel army leader in Prison Town in Dragon Quest VI, and the name changer complains if you try to rename a character Tonnura.
- In Dragon Quest VII there is a merchant in the The Haven and some people refer to the Hero as having a Tonnura type name.
- It also was one of the random names for monsters in Dragon Quest Monsters.
- Tonnura is used as the Prince of Sumaltria's name in Dragon Quest Tact.
Wikipedia says that Yuji Horii came up with the name Tonuura from one of the fantasy books that he was using as a reference. From that they think that he is named after Ernest Tonnelat.