- 1 Welcome
- 2 Re:Square Wikia
- 3 Re:Ganesha Image missing
- 4 Re:Help?!
- 5 RE: King Lorik
- 6 Re: Tortragon
- 7 Yo
- 8 Galleries
- 9 Re:Deletion
- 10 Image Credits
- 11 Also...
- 12 Re: Multiple Upload
- 13 Hey
- 14 Re:Online Business Career Opportunities...or Dragon Quest?
- 15 Re: Site Slowness
- 16 Great pics
- 17 Is it just the computer I'm using or?...
- 18 Where did you get those lovely scans?
- 19 For the love of Rubiss, pace yourself mang
- 20 Concerning Pallet Swaps and repeating names
- 21 Yikes, do you work really hard
- 22 Fact-checking reasources
- 23 Thanks, and a question about infoboxes
- 24 Just a thought I had.
- 25 Yet another image resource
- 26 Potential request feature
- 27 Here's to a New Year
- 28 DQVIII is nearly upon us!
- 29 Image requests!
- 30 Contacting the mods
- 31 Re: News Feed
- 32 You doing alright?
- 33 Not a problem my friend
- 34 Site Feedback
Hello Icysugarspike, and welcome to Dragon Quest Wiki! We're glad to have you here, and we hope you'll stay and contribute. Make sure you check out the community portal for general information about editing.
Note that you cannot upload any images until you have confirmed your email address! You should receive the email confirmation shortly after registering. Enjoy your time at Dragon Quest Wiki. - The Dragon Quest Wiki Staff
You should have already received an email already. By now, you should get another email confirmation using Special:Preferences, I think. --Vzing 10:32, 26 December 2011 (CST)
Re:Ganesha Image missing
You do realize, that if you become an auto-confirmed user, you would be able to delete pages, right? Just saying. --Vzing 15:14, 26 December 2011 (CST)
Well, being that I am an administrator on another wiki, yes, I realize that. Icysugarspike 16:50, 26 December 2011 (CST)
- Icysugarspike, you should be autoconfirmed now. If it still is not working by tomorrow, send me another message. --FlyingRagnar 20:40, 26 December 2011 (CST)
- Sorry for the delay. Try again and let me know if you are still having issues. --FlyingRagnar 08:52, 28 December 2011 (CST)
Umm. Just stick it somewhere else. Its Tabber's fault. If you want that fixed, you'll have to ask Flying. --Vzing 10:13, 28 December 2011 (CST)
- Using SECopyright and categorizing as you described is correct. As for the image hiding, it is best to do what Vzing suggested; just put it somewhere else on the page. Vzing doesn't really like galleries, but I think it is ok if we have an area of the page for displaying artwork all together. Generally, just do what you think looks the best and makes sense. --FlyingRagnar 10:55, 28 December 2011 (CST)
RE: King Lorik
Yeah, the new image is higher quality so use that in the infobox. However, we should keep the old artwork on the page so that it doesn't get lost. Just add an == Artwork == section to the page and move it down there. --FlyingRagnar 12:21, 28 December 2011 (CST)
Yep, I can help. Check this out ->List of enemies with different localization names. I started it a while ago, but it isn't finished. Looks like tortragon became wyrtle. --FlyingRagnar 14:25, 28 December 2011 (CST)
If you think it is a duplicate file, just delete it yourself. You have the ability to do that, right? --Vzing 08:42, 29 December 2011 (CST)
- Also delete the talk page of the deleted file... and next time, just upload a new version of the old file instead of just uploading a new file altogether. --Vzing 08:51, 29 December 2011 (CST)
Ummm, to be honest, that is just an excuse. When the "Project" is done, make all of the galleries you want. The "Project" needs to be done first, and that will take a long long long time. Sorry. --Vzing 08:53, 29 December 2011 (CST)
- Fine, make all the galleries you want, just replace them with the old galleries, and don't put any sprites in those galleries. You'll know why later. --Vzing 11:23, 29 December 2011 (CST)
Why? --Vzing 13:00, 29 December 2011 (CST)
Hey Sir ISS, you have been doing a great job. Just wanted to mention something about image credits. For most you have been selecting the SECopyright template which is absolutely correct. But I also noticed you put "Courtesy of the Dragon's Den" in the wikitext. It is probably easier to just use [[Template:DDPermission]] instead. That makes it easier to track which images came from the Dragon's Den by checking the "what links here" page for the template. Make sense? --FlyingRagnar 17:45, 29 December 2011 (CST)
- "I tried to fix it on the template page, only made it worse, then changed it back to your revision. ??????"
Next time, and I mean it, for every edit from now on, try using the "Show preview" button. If you don't, you might make a mistake, and you'll have to fix it, clogging the recent changes. --Vzing 18:14, 29 December 2011 (CST)
There is no reason why you'll need to edit the image again once you uploaded it, if you just putted whatever you were going to put in the image originally when you were going to upload it. I hope I'm not sounding rude, though.--Vzing 18:30, 29 December 2011 (CST)
Re: Multiple Upload
You should already have access to it. It's a special page. Special:MultipleUpload. It tends to be a bit buggy, mainly when you don't fill in all the fields at once. It will display a message about not finding files, but I don't think it is anything to worry about. --FlyingRagnar 10:06, 30 December 2011 (CST)
- Hey, yeah. Be careful you don't clobber old artwork with new stuff. Those 2 images were different. It's fine when you upload a higher quality image which is otherwise identical. It is much easier for us later to delete images, so if you think they might be slightly different, just give it a different name. We want as much unique stuff as possible. ;) I'm excited to see what else you have to upload. --FlyingRagnar 10:26, 30 December 2011 (CST)
- I think it is fine to upload the "better" colored version of the images. However, just leave the old revision instead of deleting it in this case. In fact, unless you find 2 images which are exactly identical (size, dimensions, coloring) don't delete the old image. We have plenty of disk space and that way we don't wonder where something went later. --FlyingRagnar 12:00, 30 December 2011 (CST)
Don't delete old revisions of an image. That is pointless aesthetically, so don't do it. :D --Vzing 15:26, 30 December 2011 (CST)
Skeleton soldiers are stronger than Skeletons. IDK really, cause I never played DQI. D: --Vzing 08:48, 31 December 2011 (CST)
- Dude, I just looked at their page in Dragon Quest Wiki. It doesn't lie. Of course Skeleton Soldiers are better than regular Skeletons. --Vzing 11:39, 31 December 2011 (CST)
Re:Online Business Career Opportunities...or Dragon Quest?
You have the ability to delete pages. If you see spam like that, delete yourself. :| --Vzing 13:57, 1 February 2012 (CST)
Re: Site Slowness
I agree it is frustrating. I will contact our host and see if anything can be changed. I did a reverse IP lookup and we are currently sharing with 93 other sites. Back in August when I checked we were only sharing with about 36. There isn't much more I can do than ask though. Unfortunately, MediaWiki is somewhat resource intensive and that doesn't help. If I was willing to spend more than $70 a year on this site than I might consider upgrading, but we all have priorities. ;) --FlyingRagnar 09:03, 16 February 2012 (CST)
Icy, thanks for all the recent uploads. They look great. --FlyingRagnar 07:56, 2 May 2012 (CDT)
Is it just the computer I'm using or?...
Is Dragon's Den currently down? Just thought I'd ask as you've been active recently, thus I figured I'd be likely to get a response from you. Thanks for your time. Antiyonder (talk) 14:31, 3 May 2016 (CDT)
- Yeah, it appears to be a problem with my dad's computer at least. All I get on his is:
The requested URL was rejected. If you think this is an error, please contact the webmaster.
Your support ID is: 7188385864548258107
Where did you get those lovely scans?
Thanks for cleaning up the picture depository for us, it's very much appreciated!!! Just how did you manage to get them though? I've been scouring the web for scans of 2 and 6's guide books and I've not found a single page's worth yet outside of the common art floating around on tumblr and the like. (Follower of Light (talk) 15:36, 20 May 2016 (CDT))
For the love of Rubiss, pace yourself mang
Icy you're a blessing to this wiki, but I'm worried you'll blow a series of arteries if you keep up this pace. Please, for your friends and family, take some time off.(Follower of Light (talk) 14:24, 26 June 2016 (CDT))
Concerning Pallet Swaps and repeating names
This has been brought up before, but would it be possible to include pallet swap monsters within the pages of the original they derive from? I feel that would help consolidate the wiki, and I'm willing to do as much legwork as it takes to get that ball rolling. The same would apply to repeating names, such as the Vis Mager and so on. What do you think? (Follower of Light (talk) 09:55, 20 July 2016 (CDT))
- One additional bit I'd like to bring up: certain pallet swaps are much more prominent than the original base monster, such as Goody Bags showing up far more often than Bag'o Laughs and the same for Mimics and Canniboxes. Seeing as you're the manager, would you rather I put the more prominent monster first, or go in order of appearance? Hacksauri work either way because they became the first appearing member of that base form in 8 onwards. (Follower of Light (talk) 10:49, 25 August 2016 (CDT))
Yikes, do you work really hard
I'm surprised by the incredible amount of new articles and files you've created in the short amount of time I've been disappeared, in fact, chapeau to you. However, this kinda worry me, aren't you tired? I mean before I disappeared for a bit uploading a lot of info and files every day really tired me up... Heck, I know that this wiki lacks a lot of info (however we have more info than other DQ wikis, principally thank to you) and there is a bunch of files and info that we should upload, but it's good to relax a bit... (Eco (talk) 08:22, 14 August 2016 (CDT))
Been compiling every worthwhile site I could find for those difficult-to-pin bits, like monster resistances and mechanical formula. These are also fun to read in general, as they provide insight into the Japanese side of the fandom and their own quirks. Google translate does a decent job all around, but don't be surprised to find some howlers in there!
http://wikiwiki.jp/dqdic3rd/ Character ages, nicknames, how often monsters appear, developer quotes, etc. Only thing they lack are pictures.
http://www7b.biglobe.ne.jp/~dqwiz/ The one most regarded by the gamefaqs crowd. Its ceased updates as of VII's remake, but covers monster resistances, stats, equipment price, you name it.
https://www.d-navi.info/ Absolutely the best resource for IX's data, providing all the calculations for skills and spells, as well as hidden equipment stats.
http://dq-gh.com/ Not quite as detailed as Navi, but they do provide images for most games, and it pays to have additional sources
- I don't have much access to pics myself. My options tend to be solely from the affiliates like Woodus or Realm of Darkness. Antiyonder (talk) 23:32, 4 October 2016 (CDT)
Thanks, and a question about infoboxes
Thanks! I wasn't 100% sure if I was supposed to be doing it, but I'm glad someone's appreciating it. :)
While I'm at it, I'd like to take the time to ask a question, or rather give a suggestion about the Enemy template. Currently each one forces a line break, and so on pages like Slime, it's not uncommon to get huge columns of them, making pages much longer than they ought to be. Considering most monsters have multiple boxes per game entry I was thinking we could figure out a way to get them aligned horizontally per game (if there is a sub-type of monster like Slimification, they'd be in their own horizontal row.) What do you think? I don't know if it's possible with floats, and I was thinking of using HTML tables, but I don't wanna complicate anything for other users. Feedback would be great! :) TheCodingGamer (talk) 16:12, 12 October 2016 (CDT)
Just a thought I had.
Given how there's been no article for the 3rd or 4th PlayStation consoles, and both the Sony PlayStation & Sony PlayStation 2 are slim, I'm wondering if it would make just as much sense to make single article for all PS consoles (like how the Game Boy article covers the original unit, the GBC and GBA) especially as I'm not as knowledgeable enough to provide info on the more recent versions of the console. Antiyonder (talk) 03:33, 22 October 2016 (CDT)
- You can always ask other current users, but I'm down with that. :) - icysugarspike (talk) 10:57, 22 October 2016 (CDT)
- At any rate I checked with Follower of Light and am waiting for a response. Incidentally, you ever follow Nintendo Power? I was thinking that the magazine has a place for an article. But I'm not sure if my familiarity on it would sustain the article. Antiyonder (talk) 20:11, 22 October 2016 (CDT)
Yet another image resource
http://www.bogleech.com/dqm.html Found this one by chance while looking for scans of DQM's japanese guide, and thought it might help for some of the more obscure beasties. Also, is it me or does his shading and coloring from this period look off? The way everything is shaded reminds me of air-brsuh work you'd see on carnival attractions and fun houses.(Follower of Light (talk) 22:55, 14 December 2016 (CST))
- Yeah, but I kind of thought that was the point. And when you consider some of the strange monsters DQM2 had when it came to bizarre designs, I understand the sideshow or carnival angle. I liked this period myself. Bring me more sha-ay-ding! - icysugarspike (talk) 23:36, 14 December 2016 (CST)
Potential request feature
I've been thinking about ways to address the user-base's needs more directly, and it dawned on me that a request box of sorts might be the best way to go about that. Do you know if such a thing is possible with this site, and do you have any ideas of your own as to how we can better serve our users?(Follower of Light (talk) 20:11, 22 December 2016 (CST))
- Gah. I really don't know what to say to this. I appreciate you asking me, but I would ask others. Whatever happened to FlyingRagnar, Zenithian, etc.? I thought they started up this whole wiki, as a reaction to something they didn't like about "that other wiki". I used to have a lame poll on Capcom Database wiki years back, but that's the best I can come up with. Sorry, keep asking other users. TheCodingGamer might have an idea. Happy holidays! - icysugarspike (talk) 07:15, 23 December 2016 (CST)
Here's to a New Year
DQVIII is nearly upon us!
Happy New Year, my friend! When it comes to 2016 you've worked harder than any of us! If we had a Most Valuable Editor Award I'd give it to you! :)
Ice, you've been absolutely invaluable in your work to provide the best official images of the series and share them with the rest of the fandom. I absolutely hate to take time away from your efforts, but if possible do you think you could find some images showing off skills? By this I mean anything from official images to simple screen captures, eve low-res ones will work. Aside from IX, we've got about all the main equipment and item galleries completed: that just leaves the remaining few spells and skills that lack illustration. If you have the time, and this certainly doesn't have to be done ASAP, do you think you could try to find a few of those missing images? (Follower of Light (talk) 16:21, 3 January 2017 (CST))
Thank you, Ice! I found them a little while back online, so I figured the site needed to have them. Supposedly they are not done by Toriyama himself, but an imitator for the PS1 strategy guide. It's hard to find any info for it though.. Aphelion (talk) 13:23, 23 February 2017 (CST)
Contacting the mods
Sent an email to Woodus about the uploading issue, and he says he's sent out PMs and emails to Zenithian and Flyingragnar and will get back to me once they respond. I know its not an immediate fix but at least the ball is rolling!(Follower of Light (talk) 17:54, 11 March 2017 (CST))
- Hi. Sorry for the hiatus. Something went wrong with my email and I wasn't receiving emails from the wiki anymore. Probably one of many problems from what you guys have uncovered. Here is what I've looked at tonight.
- I don't know what's wrong with the news feed on the homepage. I only did a quick investigation, but the URL for the RSS feed seems correct. I don't know why it is timing out currently.
- I've implemented a potential fix for the image re-uploading issue. At first I thought this issue was somehow permissions related to the files themselves or on the wiki. It was actually a PHP related issue on the web server. Since the site is hosted on shared web hosting, they must have made a change which somehow disabled some PHP functions on pages whose URLs end with a file name. Hence, on any file page on the wiki, users were being auto-logged out. I've implemented a rewrite rule to redirect to a version of the same page which does not end with the file ending. Please give it a try and let me know if this breaks anything else in the process.
- Aside from those 2 issues, what else is broken currently? --FlyingRagnar (talk) 00:55, 16 March 2017 (CDT)
Re: News Feed
Yeah I switched it to a different feed. The feed from Dragon's Den won't work for some reason. It works in a browser, but not in the site. I think I'm going to look into pulling a Twitter feed instead. --FlyingRagnar (talk) 19:52, 21 March 2017 (CDT)
Hey, check this out. Does this page load for you?  I'm working on potentially moving the site to a new host. None of the images will work, I didn't upload those to the new host yet because there is like 8GB to upload. --FlyingRagnar (talk) 19:54, 22 March 2017 (CDT)
You doing alright?
Just wanted to check in and see how things are going in your region of the world map. Hope all is going as well as it can and, if you're in the Southeast, that these biblical deluges haven't washed you away!(Follower of Light (talk) 11:35, 7 April 2017 (CDT))
Not a problem my friend
Not a problem my friend. I'm just doing my little part while everyone else does theirs. We all await your return with great expectation, but seriously take your time. I've been juggling a lot these past few months that it's felt good to do even the smallest edits. But regardless, hope to see you soon! TheCodingGamer (talk) 23:00, 16 April 2017 (CDT)
That Mean Green
Hey there, just wanted to say thanks for contributing so much to the wiki over the years. I'm sure you are probably aware it has been migrated to a new host. Everything should be up and working great at this point. Please let me know if you find things that are broken or could use attention. We are on a much better host now, so hopefully a lot of past problems are no longer an issue. --FlyingRagnar (talk) 00:51, 1 October 2017 (EDT)