A treasure chest is a recurring element in the Dragon Quest series as well as most role-playing games. It appears in various locations throughout the games and often contains an item or gold which the player receives upon opening the chest. Beginning in Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation some chests are traps which contain enemies such as a Cannibox, Mimic and Pandora's box. To counter this, the spell Peep, was created to determine whether a chest had treasure or an enemy due to it's glow.
Later installments added pots, cupboards, drawers, etc. with a similar function. Generally, treasure chests are used to distribute items throughout the locations in each game. The Nintendo Entertainment System ports of Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line had most chests respawning even if they had key items provided they weren't with the characters' possessions. III and up had them remaining permanently empty.
Details in specific titles
- The Lighthouse chest contain the Star Sigil has several Gremlins within who attack The Hero and party.
- The Sea Cave has several trap chests that sap the leader of the party of HP.
- The chests of the 4F of the Pyramid each contains a group of Mummy boys which drop the treasure upon defeat.
- Chests containing Mimic's in the original Super Famicom version would frequently respawn, thus allow the party to stock up on Mini medals
- Due to the graphic upgrade, treasure chests were added to the overworld.
- This was the first game in the main series to incorporate chests in the overworld due to making the exploration rewarding. The 3DS remake added Blue Chests with random and respawning treasures. The newly added Memories Lane included Purple Chests containing stat boosting seeds which like the Blue Chest respawn every 24 hours.
- In the Captain N: The Game Master episode "The Trojan Dragon", Kevin Keene/Captain N, Duke and Princess Lana were given a map leading them to a chest containing the Flame sword and Silver shield in the Cave of the Axe knight.
|This page uses CC BY-SA-licensed content from FANDOM.|