From Dragon Quest Wiki
Dragon Ball is both a franchise about the life of Son Goku one of the strongest fighters on Earth that started as a manga in 1984 and adapted into anime. The property as it continued in Dragon Ball Z went from being a comedy and action into a more sci-fi/action.
The stories are generally done by the franchise artist Akira Toriyama who even though not involved with the story of Dragon Ball GT provided the character designs.
References to the Dragon Quest series
- Puff-Puff originates from Chapter 5 of Dragon Ball.
- A pterodactyl strongly resembling a Terrordactyl appears in the manga, where it kidnaps Bulma to eat her, but Goku saves the day and kills it.
- The Archdemon makes a cameo in the Tenshinhan/Tien Shinhan saga of Dragon Ball. It tries to enter the Tenkaichi Budokai but is defeated at the preliminaries.
References from the Dragon Quest series
- This character is likely a tribute to the Dragon God Shenron. Not only do they (Along with Ethereal serpent, Boreal serpent and Infernal serpent) look extremely similar (the only differences being say Shenron's glowing red eyes and Xenlon's purple accents), they also grant wishes. In addition, the kanji for Shenron's name in Dragon Ball is 神龍 (meaning "god dragon"), which can be read as "shen long" in Mandarin Chinese (which, when the Chinese reading is said aloud by a Japanese person, becomes "シェンロン Shenron" - the same as his name in Dragon Ball), whereas it is read as "しんりゅう shinryū" in Japanese, the same as Xenlon's name in the Japanese version of Dragon Quest.
- Jackanape, Whackanape and Smackanape bear a striking similarity to the Oozaru transformations.
- Carver bears a strong resemblance to the Southern Daikaioshin/South Kai.
Appropriately, said character is the physically strongest of his group.
- Grody Gumpdrops is very similar in appearance to Majin Buu. The two have rotund, amorphous bodies with antenna-like structures on top of their heads and possess a variety of different magical powers. His name evokes gumdrops, a type of candy which Grody Gumpdrops's body somewhat resembles, similar to how Majin Buu's body is similar to chewing gum.
- Morrie's appearance is loosely based on Akira Toriyama's own Mr. Satan/Hercule character from the famous Dragon Ball series.
- The Luminary has the same hairstyle as Android 17 of Dragon Ball Z, as well as a similar physique.
A panel from Toriyama's Dragon Ball series with Yamcha, Krillin, Goku and a cameo by an Archdemon.
Dragon Quest - Dragon Ball similar poses in the VI guidebook.
- Dragon Ball on Wikipedia
- Dragon Ball Z on Wikipedia
- Dragon Ball at IMDb
- Dragon Ball Z at IMDb