Hero (Dragon Quest XI)
|Dragon Quest series character|
|Dragon Quest XI|
|Family||Amber (adoptive mother)|
Chalky (adoptive grandfather)
|Voice Actor||Rasmus Hardiker (English)|
Mitsuki Saiga (Japanese, XI S, Super Smash Bros.)
The Hero of Dragon Quest XI, also known as the Luminary, is a young man from the sleepy village of Cobblestone. After participating in a coming-of-age ceremony, he finds out he is the reincarnation of an ancient hero who once saved the world. On his 16th birthday, he sets out on his journey in order to fulfill his destiny.
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the Luminary has been given the default name Eleven in order to differentiate him from the other three Heroes appearing in the game, following the naming convention seen in the promotional material of other games.
He is a young man with blue eyes and brown chin-length hair in a bob cut. On his left hand, he bears a mysterious mark that has appeared since the day he was born. The mark glows when the Luminary is in danger. He wears a long, sleeveless brown and purple leather tunic over a black long-sleeved shirt, brown trousers, and tan leather boots. Around his waist, he wears a leather belt with a small bag attached and he carries a scabbard across his back. The Luminary's good looks and hair are commented on by various characters.
The Luminary was born into a great destiny, said to be the reincarnation of a great hero who saved the world in the past. He was born on the same day as Gemma, a girl from the village who becomes his childhood friend. On their 16th birthday, the two celebrate together before the young man sets out on his journey to fulfill his destiny. He comes into conflict with the Kingdom of Heliodor, whose king is skeptical of his claims and declares him to be the harbinger of darkness, the infamous Darkspawn.
|Attribute||Starting Stats||Maximum Stats|
|Initial gear||Cobblestone sword, Plain clothes|
Cobblestone greatsword (in inventory)
Strength +20% (40%), resilience +20% (40%), critical rate up (critical rate further increased). Parenthesis accounts for pep-up power-up bonuses.
|Quadraslash||24||All Enemies||Up to 330~390 non-elemental damage|
|Flamesplitter||16||All enemies||Up to 210~250 fire damage|
|Seasplitter||16||All enemies||Up to 210~250 ice damage|
|Skysplitter||16||All enemies||Up to 210~250 wind damage|
|Earthsplitter||16||All enemies||Up to 210~250 earth damage|
|Blightsplitter||16||All enemies||Up to 210~250 darkness damage|
|Brightsplitter||16||All enemies||Up to 210~250 light damage|
- NOTE: the power of the splitter skills will be enhanced if the Luminary is equipped with the Sword of Light or one of it's reforged forms. This raises the base damage to 200~240 and the maximum to 400~440.
|Flame Slash||2||3||One||Yes||120% fire damage to a single enemy||Yes|
|Attack Power When Wielding +3||--||4||--||--||NA||--|
|Critical Hit Chance When Wielding +2%||--||6||--||--||NA||--|
|Sword Stance||2||7||--||--||Increases parrying chance by 33% for four turns||--|
|Attack Power When Wielding +6||--||10||--||--||NA||--|
|Dragon Slash||2||10||One||Yes||200% (plus 10) damage to dragon-family monsters||Yes|
|Attack Power When Wielding +10||--||12||--||--||NA||--|
|Metal Slash||--||12||One||Yes||1~2 damage to metal slimes, cannot miss||Yes|
|Miracle Slash||4||16||One||Yes||Restores at least 20 HP||Yes|
|Greatsword Guard||2||3||--||--||Increases parrying chance by 33% for four turns||--|
|Attack Power When Wielding +5||--||4||--||--||NA||--|
|Critical Hit Chance When Wielding +2%||--||6||--||--||NA||--|
|Helichopter||4||7||Group||Yes||Full damage to a group of enemies||First hit|
|Attack Power When Wielding +15||--||12||--||--||NA||--|
|Frost Fangs||10||12||Group||Yes||Up to 130~140 ice damage to a group of enemies, 25% chance to stun each||Yes|
|Cutting Edge||8||10||One||Yes||157%~225% damage to a single enemy, cannot critical hit||Yes|
|Critical Hit Chance When Wielding +3%||--||12||--||--||NA||--|
|Unbridled Blade||16||16||One||Yes||290%~310% damage to a single enemy, cannot critical hit||Yes|
|Attack Power When Wielding +10||--||10||--||--||NA||--|
|Counter When Blocking/Parrying||--||12||--||--||NA||--|
|Critical Hit Chance +3%||--||16||--||--||NA||--|
|Falcon Slash||4||16||One||Yes||Full damage per hit, doubles critical hit chance||First hit|
|Sword Dance||8||16||Group||Yes||Randomly slashes four enemies for 75% damage per hit||All hits|
|Gigaslash||16||25||--||Yes||Up to 210~250 lightning damage to all enemies||--|
|Gigasmash||--||25||--||Yes||Up to 250~270 lightning damage to a group of enemies||--|
|Blade of Ultimate Power||48||36||--||--||Up to 680~720 non-elemental damage to one enemy||--|
|Gigacrash||32||36||--||Yes||Up to 440~460 lightning damage to a group of enemies||--|
|Gigagash||32||36||--||Yes||Up to 390~430 lightning damage to all enemies||--|
|Holy Protection||2||8||--||--||Keeps monsters at bay for 30 seconds||--|
|Pep Chance +5%||--||8||--||--||NA||--|
|Poof||2||8||--||--||Attempts to expel all enemies||No|
|Zap||8||8||--||Yes||Up to 131~141 lightning damage to a group of enemies||No|
|Fullheal||24||12||Ally||--||Fully heal a single party member.||No|
|Kaclang||8||12||Ally||--||Turns one party member to metal. They are immune to damage, but cannot act for 2 turns.||--|
|Magical Might +5||--||12||--||--||NA||--|
|Maximum MP +20||--||12||--||--||NA||--|
|Zapple||22||12||--||Yes||Up to 314~344 lightning damage to a group of enemies||--|
|Magical Mending +50||--||14||--||--||NA||--|
|Magical Might +50||--||14||--||--||NA||No|
|Maximum HP +20||--||14||--||--||NA||--|
|Kazap||48||16||--||Yes||Up to 695~745 lightning damage to a group of enemies||--|
|Omniheal||64||16||Party||--||A party wide full heal.||--|
|Pep Chance +10%||--||20||--||--||NA||--|
|Pep-Up Power-Up||--||20||--||--||Increases the boost given during Pep-Up||--|
|Pep Up||25||25||--||--||Automatically enter a pepped up state that lasts only 4~6 turns instead of the standard 6~8||--|
A luminary is a person of prominence or great achievement, and the word can also be used to refer to one of the celestial bodies that gives off visible light. Specifically, this latter definition is used for the moon and sun in most astronomical discourse.
- The Luminary is the first protagonist to not be referred to as Yuusha (勇者) in promotional material nor the game itself. Instead, the title of Shujinkō (主人公) is used, which means protagonist in Japanese.
- The Luminary has some similarities with some of the heroes from previous games:
- He comes from a lineage of previous heroes, much like the original Hero and the Prince of Midenhall.
- He sets out on his journey on his 16th birthday, similar to Erdrick. As the story advances, he is able to wield the Sword of Light, also known as Erdrick's sword in other games, which is important to the plot. It was wielded by the original Luminary.
- He was born with a mysterious mark on his left hand known as the Mark of Light, much like the Hero of Dragon Quest VII. It grants him with mysterious powers and glows in times of danger.
- His inability to advance past the second tier of explosive spells is a reference to Erdrick and Solo, who are also only able to learn up to Boom.
- His family connections make him similar to both Erdrick and Eight, as well. The Luminary finds out that his father, Irwin, was a great warrior himself much like Ortega. He is also secretly a prince from the kingdom of Dundrasil as revealed by Rab, his maternal grandfather, much like Eight finding out about his royal lineage from his grandfather, Chen Mui.
- In the international version of the game, there is a special costume that allows him to dress up like the Hero from Dragon Quest VIII. The outfit was added for Japanese players in the Switch version of the game.
- The Luminary has the same hairstyle as Android 17 of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball series, as well as a similar physique.
- He is the first hero in the main series to have a voice actor in the English version of the games. English actor Rasmus Hardiker provides his vocal grunts in various scenes and in battle.
- It is revealed at the end of the game by the Yggdragon, the spirit of Yggdrasil, that the Luminary is the first in a line of knights dubbed "Erdrick", thus making him the first Erdrick knight.