|Dragon Quest VIII|
|Title||Lord of Darkness|
Lord Rhapthorne is the central antagonist of Dragon Quest VIII. A demon of untold legend, Rhapthorne is the party's final opponent in their quest to rid the world of an evil curse.
Rhapthorne has the upper half of an overweight man with a black goatee. He has two large horns coming from his head. His lower half appears bulbous, with a ring of spikes protruding from the bottom. Rhapthorne's skin is purple, with flame-like designs in a darker shade of purple. He has two small bat wings on his back.
Rhapthorne had power over the World of Darkness and planned to take control of the World of Light, but was stopped by the Seven Sages with the help of Empyrea, the Godbird. He returned centuries later to kill the heirs of Seven Sages and take over the World of Light.
In a break from the series' tradition of the Archfiend being a distant figure removed from much of the narrative, Rhapthorne is actually present from the very beginning of the game thanks to his possession of Dhoulmagus. He is aware of the party's actions against him from the start, and as such his loathing for them is significantly more personal than that of final foes past.
Outside his main role in Dragon Quest VIII, Rhapthorne also makes appearances in these titles.
|#307 - Rhapthorne|
|Game||Dragon Quest IX|
|Description||"Evil incantations and Kafrizz form just part of this portly demon's plan to exterminate his enemies. Lick him with light.
Some say his body is so big that is contains enough cursed power to contort the space-time continuum itself."
- Rhapthorne (first form) is a one-slot Rank X monster. He can be synthesized by combining Dhoulmagus and Nimzo.
- Rhapthorne (second form) is a great three-slot Rank X monster. He can be synthesized by combining his first form with Zoma.
Both forms appear as separate monsters in Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 Professional.
- Rhapthorne's diminutive first form bears a slight resemblance to real world Sea Angels. Both feature prominent bio-luminescence in their abdomens, stubby appendages, and the Angel's antennae approximate with Rhapthorne's horns.
- When possessing both Dhoulmagus and Leopold, both hosts developed large, black-feathered wings reminiscent of a bird of prey. Neither of Rhapthorne's actually bodies have these traits, with his petite form bearing no wings at all, and his larger form having smaller bat-like wings.
- In Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, the evil scepter Rhapthorne weilds is called Malevolence.