Dragon Quest of the Stars
|Dragon Quest of the Stars|
|Release date(s)||JP October 15, 2015|
NA February 25, 2020
EU February 25, 2020
Dragon Quest of the Stars (星のドラゴンクエスト , Hoshi no Doragon Kuesuto ?, commonly abbreviated as "星ドラ"[note 1])[note 2] is a free-to-play touch based RPG for smartphones that is part of the Dragon Quest series. The game was released on October 15, 2015 in Japan and globally on February 25th, 2020. The new mobile title features stickers from popular LINE emoji artist Kanahei. On September 30th, 2019, Square Enix announced that the game would be released internationally in 2020, with a closed beta for Android users that ran from October 30th to November 28th. On March 30, 2021 Square Enix announced that the global game servers will be shut down on June 30, 2021.
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Global version
- 3 Events
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Videos
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Footnotes
- 8 References
- 9 External link
The game lets players explore planet Brulia and experience various classic Dragon Quest events.
In the Japanese version, players can explore other planets as well after finishing Chapter 7 of Season 1.
Players can customize and develop their own character to fight against the star crisis that draws near. Character customization is similar to Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, in that armor is split between helmets, torso, leggings, and footwear. Equipment and appearance aren't actually linked, players can use any piece of equipment they have as a cosmetic piece, with only one limitation: the weapon type has to be the same that is currently equipped.
After reaching a point in the story, players can also customize their vocation. The basic vocations are:
- Martial Artist
There's also the unlockable Gadabout vocation, which is a joke vocation but has great Luck and Evasion rate at lv99.
Later on, players can unlock advanced vocations which require two of the basic vocations at lv50 or higher and a special item. These advanced vocations are:
- Battlemaster (Warrior + Martial Artist)
- Paladin (Priest + Martial Artist)
- Sage (Mage + Priest)
- Armamentalist (Warrior + Mage)
- Pirate (Sailor + Dancer)
- Monster Master (Sailor + Ranger)
- Superstar (Dancer + Ranger)
- Gladiator (Martial Artist + Sailor)
- Astronomer (Priest + Ranger)
The advanced vocations can be revocated three times, which means they can reach up to level 3*99. Vocations aren't the only important thing affecting, weapons are the other big thing. Each weapon has one or two main skills (usually something unique to that weapon), and a series of sub-skill slots that allow you to use other skills as long as they are the same type of skill (there are 4: physical attack, physical support, magic attack, magic support), are allowed for that weapon type and are of the same rank or lower than the slot. Some special weapons have slots that are hybrids, being able to hold 2 types of skill.
Most of the game will be spent doing combats. In this game's battles, the player has to wait for the skill's timers to fill up before being able to use them. Each character does a simple auto-attack on each turn. Almost every vocation has 2 skills players can use in battle, like Anger, Sea Shanty, On Stage, Midheal, etc. After the vocational skills, both main and sub-skills for the character's equipped weapon are listed, and finally the shield's defending skill. The core mechanic is knowing the monster's weaknesses and using the skills in a timely manner, specially during the co-op multiplayer matches.
Before each dungeon begins, players can choose which items they are bringing into the battle (up to 4), and if they want to use food with special properties such as raising a specific resistance or boosting some stats.
Fight difficulty is divided in the following categories: Beginner, Advanced, Hero, Legendary. There are higher difficulties that require special one-time-use items to unlock: Giga-legendary, Fiend, Daemon and Archfiend.
There is a casino in Dragon Quest of the Stars. It offers these minigames:
- King Splash - Coin Pusher: A simple coin pusher. The gameplay is simple, players get chests, then befriend monsters, fight bosses from the trilogy of Erdrick, and try to get the jackpot. Each time you defeat Dragonlord (2nd form), Malroth or Zoma, the game softresets. After Zoma, the boss cycle starts again.
- Cyril's One Two Hey!: It's Rock, Paper, Scissors against some DQotS characters like Gaius or Cyril, with an added All or Nothing component.
- Slime Darts: Players throw slimes at a board, trying to aim for the prizes.
- Line'Em Up! Flappy Slime: It's a matching game. Players don't have much control over it, but occasionally a reroll chance will trigger and they can select where they want the new panel picture to be placed.
All four minigames have normal and premium machines. The premium machines cost x3 the normal cost, but also have x3 higher prizes. These require a StarPass subscription* (*unavailable since March 31st, 2021 in the Global version), or waiting until it opens to everyone, which happens from time to time.
On March 30, 2021 Square Enix announced that the global game servers will be shut down on June 30, 2021.
- Message to all fans of DRAGON QUEST OF THE STARS and the Dragon Quest Series
- Thank you very much for playing DRAGON QUEST OF THE STARS.
- We regret to inform you that on 2021/6/30 23:59 UTC, the DRAGON QUEST OF THE STARS service will come to a close.
- The large amount of valuable feedback and support provided by everyone who's played the game has always been a source of encouragement for the development and administration team. Thanks to all for your amazing support.
- Your DRAGON QUEST OF THE STARS Development and Administration Team
On October thirteenth, 2020 the game began a crossover with the Cell phone game Dissida Final Fantasy Opera Omnia. Features in the game include Mog and Manikins as bosses. Players could obtain a Mog suit and various accessories. There were also banners with equipment based on Cloud and Warrior of Light, and several other FF weapons such as Yuna's Magistral Rod.
Dissida Final Fantasy Opera Omnia players could get some DQotS stickers while the event lasted.
On August fourth, 2020 the game received a surprise crossover with the Godzilla series of films in a joint collaboration between Square Enix and Toho studios. The kaiju appearing in the game are the Hesei-era versions of Godzilla, Biollante, Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Rodan. In addition, cosplay equipment based on the monsters and the Japanese Special Defense Force have been made available as well.
Monster Hunter Riders
On Janurary fifteenth 2021, a crossover event with Japan-only mobile game Monster Hunter Riders began. It featured classic beasts from the Monster Hunter series like the Rathalos, and a special crafting mechanic that allowed players to craft weapons, armor, accessories and sigils based on MHR characters, Felynes and monsters. There were several Monster Hunter-themed banners, offering the weapons and outfits of various MHR characters such as Halcion or Shino.
On Monster Hunter Riders, they had story events featuring Cyril and various MHR characters dressed as Dragon Quest series characters -like Mary using Alena's outfit-. These characters could also be pulled for. Certain monsters like Slimes or Sabercats could be obtained as partners for the players.
Other Events (Global)
From October 29th to November 7th, 2020, the game celebrated the year's Halloween with an event called Halloween Demon. The event involved 4 levels of difficulty with a boss also called Halloween Demon. The monster is a variation of Pruslas, Night clubber and Baalzack, only with a pumpkin on his head & a giant suckered as a weapon. During this event, a banner with cosmetic items was available.
Daily Login Bonus
- Day 1: Vampiric Smile x1
- Day 2: Support Spell Super Spell Orb x1/Secret Cavern Key x1
- Day 3: Slime Pumpkin Pie x1/Yggdrasil leaf x3
- Day 4: Attack Ability Super Ability Orb x1/Hidden Treasure Hoard Key x1
- Day 5: Gems x100
- Day 6: Support Ability Super Ability Orb x1/Secret Cavern Key x1
- Day 7: Coagulant x2/Starspirit Tear x2
- Day 8: Attack Spell Super Spell Orb x1/Hidden Treasure Hoard Key x1
- Day 9: Armour Skill Super Skill Orb x1/Magic Academy Mixture x2
- Day 10: Gems x100
From Dicember 15th to Dicember 25th, 2020, the game celebrated the coming of Winter with an event called Winter Holiday. The event involved farming points for Santa, which were obtained by fighting him and his minions. He would offer the players gifts in exchange for points. Santa is a variation of Numen, and his minions were variants of other monsters like Healslime, Dracky and Sabercub, only with Christmas hats, reindeer horns and other festive decorations. These monsters could also drop crafting materials for Winter-themed equipment. During this event, Squirrel Santa could be seen in the Atlas, and the game offered a cosmetic banner.
- Biollante's inclusion in the Godzilla event is an homage to the fact that Koichi Sugiyama wrote and performed the score for 1989's Godzilla vs Biollante.
- Rodan's event cinematic is an homage to the monster perching atop a building in New York City in 2004's Godzilla: Final Wars.
- DRAGON QUEST OF THE STARS now available on iOS and Android. Square Enix. Retrieved on 2021-03-30.