|Dragon Quest series character|
|Dragon Quest IV|
|Race|| Human (originally)
Balzack is a character in Dragon Quest IV. A student of Maya and Meena's father, the alchemist Mahabala, Balzack killed his teacher for the Secret of Evolution he had discovered, being an underling of Psaro.
- 1 Appearances
- 2 Personality
- 3 Other Appearances
- 3.1 Dragon Quest Monsters
- 3.2 Dragon Quest Monsters 2
- 3.3 Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 Professional
- 3.4 Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
- 3.5 Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca’s Marvelous Mysterious Key
- 3.6 Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light
- 3.7 Dragon Quest Heroes II: Twin Kings and the Prophecy's End
- 4 Gallery
- 5 References
The entirety of Chapter 4 is centered on the sisters' quest to confront Balzack, their father's murderer, whom they finally encounter at Palais de Léon. However due to the intervention of the Marquis de Léon, the sisters are defeated, thrown in jail, and ultimately forced to flee to Endor.
|#198 - Balzack|
|Locations||Palais de Léon|
|Skills||Spits out fireball|
|Game||Dragon Quest IV|
In the fifth chapter, the Secret of Evolution has transformed him into a more powerful being: Baalzack (or "Balzack+"). He has been evicted from Palais de Léon, likely due to his failure back in the fourth chapter, and now occupies the empty Castle Zamoksva. He has become astoundingly arrogant, and is disliked even by his subordinate demons. His intention, he says, is to enhance his body to be even more godlike than Psaro the Manslayer, but he lacks the Armlet of Transmutation which allows him to use the full power of the Secret of Evolution. With the help of the hero, Maya and Meena are able to finally defeat him.
|#202 - Baalzack|
|Skills|| Attacks twice per round|
|Game||Dragon Quest IV|
- In the NES Version, the Ball of Silence in addition to disabling Balzack's magic also changes his coloring. The remakes remove the pallet swapping effect.
- In the NES Version, Balzack's sprite through both encounters is the one used for Psaro's Pawn and Master Kung. In the Sony PlayStation and Nintendo DS versions, he takes the form of a king until the battle begins and then changes to a sprite resembling his battle form.
Balzack possesses several qualities of a typical villain: arrogant, dishonest, immoral, and murderous. These traits are shown by his ruthless betrayal and murder of Mahabala. It becomes evident throughout the game that Balzack is loyal to no one but himself. After supposedly achieving the pinnacle of the Secret of Evolution, Balzack indicates that he plans on usurping Psaro the Manslayer, just as he did to his previous master. Even his fellow demons dislike him. Marquis de Léon took the chance to separate himself from Balzack when the opportunity presented itself. Balzack's minions expressed no sadness upon his death. Even Psaro, who normally shows compassion and kindness towards his allies and underlings, hates Balzack enough to impress punishment of death upon him for his failures (according to Marquis de Léon's dialogue after his initial defeat) and use him as an experimental subject even though he expected the experiment to fail.
Baalzack, from the Dragon Quest Sofubi Monster merchandise series.