|Game||Dragon Quest IV|
Diabolic Hall (Death Palace in the Japanese version, Dire Palace in the NES version) is a demon fortress in the human world in Dragon Quest IV. Located to the east of Riverton, it is a common congregation spot for expatriate demons. It also serves as a prison for various humans captured by the forces of Hell.
- Cheater cheetah
- Float-o-copier (Gone after the meeting)
- Mimic (2) (1 in the Nintendo DS Version)
- Aamon (Remakes only in Chapter 6)
- 2 Mini medals
- Tempest shield
- Seed of life (NES Version)
- Prayer ring (Nintendo DS Version)
- Lucida shard (Nintendo DS Version)
- Seed of magic (Nintendo DS Version)
- Kamikazee bracer (Nintendo DS Version)
The party visits Diabolic hall fairly late in the game, infiltrating its walls using the Mod Rod to take on the appearance of monsters; they can only properly interact with the inhabitants while in monstrous form, as speaking to one while in any other guise triggers a battle. After progressing to the inner hall, the party witnesses Psaro the Manslayer's address to all demons, which is actually the first time most of them see him in person. Psaro gets his point across, but before he can wrap up the meeting, he receives a report that the humans at Mamon Mine have accidentally excavated Estark's Crypt and that he will soon awaken; as chaos breaks out, he takes off to react to this latest development, and the party makes good its escape to confront Estark.
After being joined by Psaro, The Hero and company return to Diabolic Hall to confront Aamon. The monsters are divided into two factions with some loyal to Psaro (some even being in jail over it) and the others loyal to Aamon. Those who are loyal to Psaro don't attack The Hero and the party, providing that Psaro is with them.
Other changes to the remake include:
- Several monsters upstairs in prison secretly discuss their loyalty to Aamon only to feign ignorance when the disguised party approaches.
- In the NES Version, Float-o-copier is present in the palace only until the meeting with Psaro. In the remake, one still remains in the kitchen area until Psaro joins The Hero.