Dragon Quest Builders 2
|Dragon Quest Builders 2|
|Artist(s)||Marina Ayano Kittaka|
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch|
|Release date(s)||JP December 20, 2018|
|Genre(s)||Console role-playing game|
|Rating(s)||ESRB: Everyone 10+|
Dragon Quest Builders 2 (ドラゴンクエストビルダーズ２ 破壊神シドーとからっぽの島) is the sequel to the 2016 sandbox game DQB. It was announced at the summer 2017 Dragon Quest festival, along with a brief preview video and a few small details addressed by Yūji Horii.
Builders 2 was released for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Microsoft Windows in years 2018 and 2019. Among the Windows ports of the Dragon Quest series, Builders 2 is the fourth release, and the first to fully support Japanese.
Unlike the first game, which takes place in an alternate reality of the original Dragon Quest, this installment takes place following the events of Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line in which the remnants of Hargon's cult are attempting to make a comeback by kidnapping and destroying builders. You play as a Builder who escapes the ship of the cult in the midst of a torrential storm, and washes up on a desert island alongside a fellow abductee named Lulu and a mysterious boy named Malroth. It is up to the player and Malroth to survive on the island until rescue arrives.
- The stack-able block limit has been increased by three, making the maximum 64.
- Slopes are now built into the game's physics engine.
- Players can dive into water if jumping from high ground and freely swim.
- Weapons and hammers are now assigned to separate buttons and no longer break after repeated use.
- The ability to dash has been added.
- Farms can be tilled with the help of a friendly Wiggly, who aerates infertile spaces for cultivation.
- Players may now glide from high elevation via the Windbreaker cape.
- Vehicular transportation is possible with a car designed after an Army ant.
- The player can warp anywhere on an island, provided he or she had already been there once.
- Multiplayer has been implemented to allow up to four players.
- Animals are present for villages.
- Waterfalls are now present; this is due to player requests from the first game.
- In the English localization, the bo'sun of the tutorial ship the player explores in the beginning makes a reference to Lucasarts' The Secret of Monkey Island by stating that the Builder "fights like a cow's cadaver".