Lord of the Dragovians
|Lord of the Dragovians|
|Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King|
The Lord of the Dragovians is the most powerful member of the Dragovians in Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. After the tragic events of the recent past, he started to believe that humans and Dragovians could never coexist and thus he cast a spell in himself in order to remain forever in his dragon form. This made him lose control over his mind and begin draining the life energy from the rest of the Dragovian population.
Just when the remaining Dragovians were about to lose hope because none of them were able to stop their Lord, the party arrived in the Dragovian Sanctuary, and Chen Mui asks them for help.
After the party's first victory against him, the Lord of the Dragovians returns to his senses. Amazed and ashamed by the fact the same boy he and his people had estranged had saved his tribe from certain doom, he gives them the right to perform the Dragovian Trials: a series of battles against him in dragon form, where each victory allows access to one of the Dragovian treasures. Each time the Lord of the Dragovians is defeated, he morphs into an even stronger dragon for the following battle.
His six forms are the Vermillion Dragon, the Emerald Dragon, the Silver Dragon, the Gold Dragon, the Darksteel Dragon, and the Divine Dragon. In the final Dragovian Trial, the Hero must beat all six dragon forms in a row, and then he must confront the final form, the Ultimate Dragon. Even in his weakest form, the Vermillion Dragon, the Lord of the Dragovians reveals himself as an opponent more challenging than any other in the game, including Rhapthorne himself.
The Dragovian Trials
All forms will drop a Seed of skill at a 1/8 rate (12.5%), meaning Yangus's Stainless Steel Sickle has a 1/16 (6.25%) chance to nab it. On the bright side, the incredible bulk of the dragons means players can forgo the usual Skull helm strategy and slash away with abandon.
The Ultimate Dragon will only be fought once the boss marathon is complete; if their party is wiped out, they will have to start from the beginning.
- Dragovian Equipment (four pieces)
- Enhanced Alchemy Pot (PS2)
- A special recruitable monster near castle Trodain
- Memories Lane (3DS)
- 10 great seeds of competence (Cell phone)
- The following changes were implemented in the Nintendo 3DS Version of the game:
- One Seed of skill will always drop the first time that each form of the Lord of the Dragovians is defeated, with his final form dropping a Super seed of skill.
- As the Alchemy Pot mixes items instantly from when it's introduced, the wish to enhance it is replaced with the request for a new dungeon, Memories Lane.
- Though the Cell phone Version is closer to the original game, it also includes the Alchemy Pot's ability to mix items instantly from the beginning, thus the wish implemented in its place is to receive 10 Super seeds of skill, and the only way to receive that particular item.
- The Lord's staff bears a striking resemblance to the Lightning staff's original design.
- The color scheme of the Ultimate Dragon is a reference to the true form of the Dragonlord, along with a battle animation that looks similar to the Dragonlord's original pose.
- If the player challenges the Lord with no weapons equipped on any party members, then a special dialogue sequence will initiate where he will question if the party is able to defeat him bare-handed. Furthermore, King Trode will compliment the party in the Battle Records if they are victorious.