Hatchet Man

From Dragon Quest Wiki

Hatchet Man is a recurring ability in the Dragon Quest series. It attempts to launch an all-or-nothing critical strike, with the accuracy varying between games.

This skill is strongly recommended for hunting metal slimes and their brethren, especially so in games that do not have the hela hammer.


Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen[edit]

In the remakes, Hatchet Man is one of the special abilities that the 9th Chosen One knows upon joining in Chapter 6. Accuracy is 3/8ths and costs 0 MP.

Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation[edit]

Hatchet Man is learned by Lizzie at level 9. Other characters can obtain it by mastering the Warrior vocation. Accuracy is 3/8ths in all versions for 0 MP.

Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past[edit]

Exactly as in VI, though in the 3DS remake it costs 3 MP to use. It can also be learned by mastering the Automaton monster vocation.

It is used by the enemies Charmour, Lieutenant kernel, and Silver scrapper.

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King[edit]

Yangus can use Hatchet Man as an axe technique after allocating 19 skill points into the associated skill. The technique has a 25% chance to land a normal blow, 25% to land a critical, and 50% to miss. Once has allocated 66 points, it is replaced by the more accurate Executioner. This upgraded form ditches the chance of landing a normal blow for a 50% probability to land a critical. Both skills take 3 MP to use.

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies[edit]

This ability is learned with 58 skill points invested into Axe skill. Functionally, it is identical to Executioner and takes 8 MP to use.

Dragon Quest X[edit]

Hatchet Man can be learned by Gladiators, Rangers, and Monster Masters by investing 76 skill points into the Axe skill. It works nearly identically as the previous game, but costs 6 MP to use. There is also an enemy-only version that is used by certain bosses when their HP falls below a certain percentage.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age[edit]

Hendrik learns Hatchet Man through the Axes panel in his character builder, needing 16 points to unlock it. It costs 4 MP to use, but is now unaffected by a monster's evasion and any form of bedazzlement. This gives the skill a true hit ratio of 50% in all situations.

Dragon Quest Monsters[edit]

Called EvilSlash in this game, it requires the monster reach level 15 with 106 HP and 90 Attack. It is learned naturally by the Armorpion, BattleRex, Coatol, Gigantes, HammerMan, LizardMan, MadDragon, Mummy and RogueNite.

Dragon Quest Monsters 2[edit]

The requirements to learn EvilSlash are unchanged. It is naturally learned by the Orgodemir and WalrusMan.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker[edit]

Hatchet Man can be learned from:

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2[edit]

Hatchet Man can no longer be learned from Champion. Materialist now requires 24 points, and Naturalist requires 75 points.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D[edit]

Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca's Marvelous Mysterious Key[edit]

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3[edit]

Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince[edit]

Hatchet Man costs 8 MP, and operates exactly as it did in VIII: a 50% chance to miss, a 25% chance to deal a normal blow, and a 25% chance to land a critical hit. It is learned via the Assassin, Bang Virtuoso, Bishop Ladja, Blade Maven, Duelist, Estark, Fighter, Naturalist, Paragon, Pest Controller, Power Player, and Überkilling Machine talents.

Dragon Quest Heroes & Dragon Quest Heroes II[edit]

Hatchet Man appears as a basic attack that costs no MP to use that can be used by both Yangus and Desdemona.

Dragon Quest Treasures[edit]

Hatchet Man is learned by metal hunters.

Dragon Quest Tact[edit]

Hatchet Man can be learned by Tuskateer at level 22 and Night clubber at level 31. It costs 26 MP to use and has a chance to deliver a 100% potency physical damage critical hit to a single enemy, but has a high chance of missing.

Hatchet Man (魔神斬り Majin kiri)Tactlogo.png
Ability information
Hatchet Man
Role * Type * Element MP cost
Attack Physical DQTact Non-elemental.png 26
Range Additional effects
DQTact Range1.png
Delivers a 100% potency physical damage critical hit to 1 enemy, but often misses
Naturally learnt by
Night clubber, Tuskateer

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate[edit]

The Hero can randomly select Hatchet Man from his Command Selection ability, performing it as a weighty over-head slash. It costs 15 MP to execute and has a startup time of roughly one second, but possesses outstanding launching power and inflicts 35% damage. Hatchet Man can kill as early as 45% damage on most stages, and can break a fully-charged shield in one strike.