Djinn genie (vocation)
The Djinn Genie is an available monster class in the game Dragon Quest VII.
The Djinn Genie is a portly parody of the common perception of genies. This monster class offers a sharp increase in strength but a slight drop in guard and appearance. At rank 8 characters will gain a weak resistance to all elements but breath attacks and strike-rock skills, and a strong resistance to all status ailments.
In order to become a Djinn, a character must first master the Malevolantern and Barbatos classes. A player can also obtain a Djinn heart from battling a the species in the Cave to Yet Another World. However, the only way a player can fight one is by allowing a Malevolamp to summon a Djinn.
|Battles to Master||220|
|Mastery Bonus||+20 Bonus to Strength|
|1||Genie in a Bottle
|Oomph||25||One Ally||Doubles the attack of one ally for a couple of turns||6|
|Absorb Magic||50||Self||Absorbs the MP from one magic spell cast against the user||0|
|Insulatle||80||All Allies||Reduces the damage of fire and ice attacks||3|
|Hocus Pocus||135||Random||Random Effects, good, bad or neutral||20|
|Call to Arms||165||All Enemies||Summons an army to attack all enemies. Four attacks. Cost of the attack is the caster's gold times 50.||0|
|Backdraft||173||Self||Reflects fire and ice breath once||0|
|8||Giant Among Genies
|Scorch||220||All Enemies||Causes ~160 HP in fire damage to all enemies||0|
- The accolades for the PSX Djinn come from the Qur'anic tradition and many Arabic stories.
- The Djinn is an alternate spelling for Genie.
- Shaitan is another word for the devil of Islam, also known as Iblis. The root of the word can be used as an adjective or an noun. As an adjective, it can mean adversarial. As a noun, it can mean mischief. Shaitan is related to the word Satan of Christian tradition.
- The Efreet, also spelled Ifrit, are another class of Djinn
- The Marid is a djinn associated with the open waters and seas.
- The name Djinn genie may be a reference to "The Jean Genie", a song by David Bowie.