Cloudsgate Citadel (bonus dungeon)
|Game||Dragon Quest III|
Cloudsgate Citadel is the name of the bonus dungeon that appears in the 16-bit remake and ports of Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation. It is a homage to the eponymous flying castle of the Zenithia trilogy, which were the three most recent titles in the series when the SNES remake of III was released in 1996.
The citadel is reached by stepping into the light of the stained glass windows at the Dragon Queen's palace, although this only occurs if the player has already defeated Zoma and seen the ending, earning the "Erdrick" title on their save file on the loading screen.
The party will find themselves on a small, floating island surrounded by thick clouds. On this island is a deep cave, containing many rooms resembling those seen previously. The floors include:
- The 2nd and 5th floor of Gondo Cave.
- The 1st floor of Orochi's Lair.
- The 2nd floor of the Pyramid (the stairway on the upper righthand area leads to a room modeled after the basement of Tantegel Castle).
- The 2nd floor of the Underground Lake (The healing spring is also present).
- The 1st floor of Gondo Cave.
- The prison room of Manoza Castle.
Many fierce monsters populate this dungeon, including Baramos doppelgangers known as Baramonsters. The final room of the dungeon is a monster arena, where the heroes fight inside the ring. Once this room is passed, the party will enter a duplicate of Queen Isis' throne room. A monarch calling himself King Zenith sits on the throne.
- 2 Seeds of strength
- 6 Mini medals
- Cower ring
- Elevating shoes
- Hero book
- Ruby wristband
- Staff of Strife
- Shield of shame
- Seed of life
- T'n'T ticket (SNES & GBC only)
A man in the throne room will ask the player 3 riddles, with each one rewarding the player with an incredible item:
- A town in ruins. What glitters beneath the cross?
- A enclosed town in a dark world. It sleeps among flowers...
- The gazer of stars notices not what lies at his feet...
Xenlon the divine dragon
The final boss at the end of the dungeon is Xenlon, the the most powerful dragon. She rests at the apex of the citadel among the clouds, and will grant the player one wish from a list of options if they can defeat her within a certain number of turns.
- Dragon zombie
- Gold golem
- Great keeper
- Grievous bodily arm
- King crab
- King Hydra
- Infernal serpent
- Metal chimaera