Hero's Daughter (Dragon Quest V)
|Dragon Quest series character|
| Hero's daughter|
Princess of Gotha
|Dragon Quest V|
|Age||8 (after second timeshift)|
|Voice Actor||Kae Araki (CD Theater)|
In English her default name is Madchen. In Japanese her default names are Annie (アニー) on the SNES and Tabatha (タバサ) on the DS. In the CD Theater audio drama and official novelizations, her name is Poppy (ポピー) .
Appearance and Personality
Madchen's hair color is inherited from her mother and is worn in a bowl cut fixed with two green ribbons. She wears a white tunic that doubles as a dress, along with white gloves and boots with evergreen inner lining. Her over-sized cape is a light shade of purple and covers her sword as it drags behind her. Madchen's plain belt has a pouch fastened to it.
Madchen is the move focused and serious of the twins, but is just as prone to bouts of childish glee and wonderment as her brother is. She has the extra-sensory ability to read the emotions of animals and monsters, making her sympathetic to the friendlier monsters that suffer the association of their evil brethren and wishes there was a way for humans and monsters to live alongside one another as her father's tamed monsters do in Gotha. Though normally mature for her age, Madchen will not hesitate to ask her father to hold her hand when she is upset or frightened. Though she won't admit it, Madchen is a little jealous of her brother's status as the legendary hero and has a hard time seeing what "all the fuss is about" as she sees Parry as her brother first and world savior second.
Equipment, Stats, and Abilities
Madchen can equip most knives, whips, and staves. Unlike her mother, she can also equip a silver shield. She is principally a spellcaster, in particular learning ice and blast spells.
|Attribute||Starting Stats||Maximum Stats|
|Initial gear||Staff of antimagic, Scale shield, Robe of serenity, Fur hood|
|Level Learned||Original Japanese||PT Translation||DS Version||MP||Description|
|--||N/A||Crack||3||A weak ice spell. Added for the PS2 version and subsequent releases.|
|5||マヌーサ Manuusa||Surround||Dazzle||4||Creates mirror images of your party to encircle and confuse the enemy.|
|Return||Zoom||8||Allows instantaneous travel to places previously visited.|
|9||リレミト Riremito||Outside||Evac||8||Cast in a cave to return to the surface.|
|Bang||Bang||5||A small explosion spell; affects all enemies.|
|14||ヒャダルコ Hyadaruko**||Snowblast||Crackle||5||An ice spell which affects an enemy group.|
|16||バイキルト Baikiruto||Bikill||Oomph||6||Doubles the attack power of an ally.|
|18||ラナルータ Ranaruuta||Day-Night||Tick-tock||4||Changes day into night and night into day.|
|20||ラリホー Rarihoo||Sleep||Snooze||3||Cast to put the enemy to sleep.|
|22||ルカナン Rukanan**||Decrease||Kasap||4||Reduce the enemy's defensive power.|
|Boom||Boom||8||A stronger form of Bang.|
|27||マホカンタ Mahokanta||Bounce||Bounce||4||Reflects spells back at the caster.|
|30||ヒャダイン Hyadain**||Blizzard||Kacrackle||12||An ice spell which affects all enemies; stronger than Crackle.|
|32||ドラゴラム Doragoramu||Bedragon||Puff!||18||Turns the caster into a huge dragon.|
|36||イオナズン Ionazun||Explodet||Kaboom||15||The strongest explosion spell.|
**It is believed that the Japanese name listed is correct; however, this has not yet been verified.
- Madchen has acrophobia and will go so far as to walk with her eyes closed if in the party in a high area. Other times she will clutch on to her father and refuse to let go until the party descends.
- Both Madchen and Parry inherit their hair color from their mother (e.g. blonde hair as Bianca's children).
- Her full name in the CD drama and novels in Japanese is ポピレア・エル・シ・グランバニア - Popirea El Cie Granvania. Granvania is the Japanese name for Gotha.
- There is a persistent misconception that Madchen can recruit monsters like her father. This is false and was likely spread due to the fact that the hero can recruit monsters even while dead or in the wagon, and the in-game dialogue that describes the lass as being fond of monsters and able to understand the feelings of animals.
- A secondary rumor is that having her in the party doubles the chance for a monster to rise up after battle, but this is also false.