Thwack is an instant-death spell that targets a whole group of enemies, stopping the heart (or nearest approximate). Typically, characters that take up the paths of Priests and Sages are the only humans that learn the whack line, giving the impression of the spell family being a case of "forbidden" magic reserved only for the most pious and disciplined.
- 1 Appearances
- 1.1 Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line
- 1.2 Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation
- 1.3 Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
- 1.4 Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
- 1.5 Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
- 1.6 Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
- 1.7 Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
- 1.8 Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
- 1.9 Dragon Quest X
- 1.10 Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
- 1.11 Dragon Quest Monsters
- 1.12 Dragon Quest Monsters 2
- 1.13 Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
- 1.14 Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
- 1.15 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- 2 Battle Visuals
Priests and sages will learn Thwack at level 28, and it costs 7 MP to cast.
Kiryl learns Thwack at level 24 and now costs 7MP to cast, remaining so until IX.
Thwack is learned by advancing to rank 7 of the Priest vocation.
Thwack is learned by reaching the first rank in the sage vocation in the original and 3DS remake.
Angelo learns Thwack at level 22.
Thwack is learned by Priests at level 34, and now costs 10MP. It works off of the priest's Magical mending, raising the base accuracy from 50% once the stat hits 100 points, capping at 100% effectiveness (barring resistance) at 999.
Thwack is a spell exclusively used by monsters, and it costs 10 MP.
Called Defeat in this game, it is an upgraded form of Beat. Beat grows into Defeat when the monster reaches level 24 with at least 80 MP and 98 intelligence.
Defeat now requires 177 intelligence to learn.
Thwack can be learned from:
Thwack is a spell the Hero can randomly choose from his Command Selection ability. It costs an immense 30 MP to cast and will only deal 3% upon failure, but creates a large explosion with a chance to instantly KO an opponent. The chance to KO increases with the opponents damage and is slightly boosted if the Hero is also damaged.