Treasures n' Trapdoors
Treasures n' Trapdoors (すごろく, Sugoroku), formerly localized as Pachisi, is a minigame featured in several games of the Dragon Quest series. It is a board game that can be played by using a particular ticket item from each game. It often features beneficial prizes that can be used by the playable characters of the game. The game can be played any time with a T'n'T free pass.
The game is composed of an assortment of various tiles the character "token" must move around on, such as terrain, shops, hazards, and chests, that are navigated by dice "throws". monsters can appear on the boards, the ones encountered determined by the level of the participant. Only the lead character can play the game: other teammates must wait at the start of the board.
The player begins the game on the start space. They have a limited number of dice rolls to complete the game, though more can be obtained from landing on certain spaces. The object of the game is to land exactly on the goal space at the end of the board while avoiding the trapdoors. The game ends when the player either runs out of dice rolls, runs out of money, they reach the goal at the end, they fall through a trapdoor, or they lose all of their HP.
Each turn, the player rolls the dice and can advance forward the number of spaces they rolled. Along the way, an assortment of spaces line the board and landing on one of them triggers a specific effect. Some tiles benefit the player while others harm the player. Monster encounters can happen, either by stepping on a specific tile (indicated with a slime) or randomly on a field space.
Some T'N'T boards feature multiple exits with different treasures for each exit. The player can also buy items from landing on shop tiles and can rest at inns.
T'n'T boards were not present in the original release of Dragon Quest III but were an added feature in the SFC and GBC versions. When the game was ported to android/ios devices in 2014, the development team was unable to adapt the boards to the program they had written and the feature was dropped.
There are a total of 5 boards throughout the world:
- Track 01 - Between Romaria and Khoryv.
- Track 02 - Between Asham and the Desert Shrine.
- Track 03 - Between the Castle of Dragon Queen and the Shrine of Shackles (can be reached once you got the ship)
- Track 04 - In the well of Kol
- Track 05 - It will appear in Jipang's well after defeating Xenlon and having a wish for a new track being granted.
There are five boards throughout the world, in increasing difficulty:
- Fortuna T'n'T Board - In the basement of the Fortuna casino.
- Ventuno T'n'T Board - In the basement of the Ventuno casino.
- Spring T'n'T Board - In the location of the Winter Palace in Faerie Lea, accessible only during the third generation.
- Nadiria T'n'T Board - In Nadiria, due south of Mount Zugzwang.
- Stark Raving T'n'T Board - Within Estark's Labyrinth, northeast of the entrance to the dungeon. This board is only available after defeating Estark for the first time.
Treasures n' Trapdoors appears in the game as a crafted item for decoration, requiring three freezia flowers, magic dye and a broken branch to construct. Adds +500 base level EXP.
"Treasures n' Trapdoors" is a play on the board game Snakes & Ladders.